Friday, May 4, 2012

Birds Still Sing in the Rain

As I was walking yesterday morning, I wrote this poem.  It is the unedited, rough version, but I wanted to post it because I thought it may give a little perspective for those of us in the Northwest who tend to get gloomy when the rains keep coming.

Birds Still Sing in the Rain
            by Me :)

I lift my head and peak outside,
   rain's falling from the sky.
I lay back down and slightly frown,
   "No walk now", I sigh.
But something calls, I rise from bed,
   and bundle up so snug.
With coat and hood and earmuffs too,
   I walk out with a shrug.
As I saunter down the street,
   I begin to pray.
I ask the Lord for this and that,
   what else should I say?
But then I stop, and realize
   I haven't said hello.
"Good Morning, Lord!" I  say aloud.
   "Forgive my mood so mello."
Now I give thanks for rain, and green,
    for flowers blooming bright.
I count the snails, 1,2,3,
   Their crossing, what a sight!
I am so blessed, I realize,
   For this day I'm given.
I praise His name and slightly smile,
   Praise Him I'm forgiven.
My ears are open, I hear the sounds,
   Birds chirping beautifully.
Although the rain keeps falling down,
   Their songs I hear so clearly.
And then I realize all at once,
   Birds still sing in the Rain.

1 comment:

  1. I love this, April. Thank you for opening up your heart and eyes, and using your creative writing gift. What a beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete