Wednesday, February 2, 2011

A Good Story

Every story has a few key elements that are required to make it "Good".  A story needs character development.  The reader needs to see the character change in some way, and to feel a connection to the character as they grow and overcome obstacles.  A good story also need conflict and resolution. 
One of those "bad" moments in life.  (The broken leg, not the adorable, little girl. :)
This is the part I have difficulty with.  I don't like conflict.  I have made it a point in my blog to leave out the "bad".  Who wants to remember that?   I don't.  This year however, something is changing in me.  How can my story be complete without a complete picture of my life.  How will my children know the obstacles that were overcome if I never write them?  But mostly, how will I be able to look back at my life and see the Lord's hand protecting me, guiding me, carrying me, rescuing me, and basically being ever present in my life, if I don't remember those times He had to protect, guide, carry, or rescue me from.  I feel the Lord has been sharing with me, that in remembering the hard times, my lifes story will be more complete.  My story will have depth.  I will be able to look back over my life and see how the Lord has carried me through those times.  I will be able to see His hand with me at every turn.  In essence, in remembering the "bad", I will be able to see the goodness of the Lord.
Throughout daddy's recovery we saw how the Lord carried us.
(Please note, I'm not a fan of whining.  I don't allow it in my children and I won't present it here in my blog.  I like to look at things in a positive light.  So, be not afraid, there will be no whining.)

1 comment:

  1. It takes so much courage to share the 'bad.' I'm glad you are doing it. I think it is a tendency in us as moms to try to shield our kids from the 'bad' or the 'difficult.' But I think you're right, if we don't share from all parts of our lives, the easy and the hard, the good and the bad, it gives our kids a less than complete picture of how the Lord wants to provide for us in every season. Awesome story!

    ReplyDelete