Monday, October 12, 2009

Oh My Hair!!

Zoie, at the age of three, still rocks herself to sleep. She rocks in the middle of the night and she rocks early in the morning. Sometimes she rocks with a blanket over her head and at other times a stuffed animal. She loves to rock and it brings her comfort, but every morning the result is the same, a beautifully, wadded mass of tangled hair. There are mornings when this doesn't matter because we have the time to untangle the mess, but there are other mornings, when after struggling with it for 10 minutes I've had to leave her home with daddy because there is no more time to untangle.

I often wonder when, or if, this rocking will end. Will the rats be tamed? Will the sadness on this face ever turn to a smile as we brush through silky, smooth hair each morning? I guess this question is yet to be answered. So for today, we will head back to the bathroom, squirt the mass, brush, cry, and then brush some more. And when it's all said and done, we will have beautiful hair in bobbles, ponies, or braids, and a little girl with a smile on her face!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you can leave those pigtails in at night and see what happens. She is quite the cutie. I too remember those days of tangled hair, my mom eventually just cut my hair short

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowzers! Lydia has mice nests. She doesn't have as much hair as Zoie does. :) I agree it is a painful process! I have found the detangler spray helps us to brush through it more quickly. But I often wonder, what is this stuff?? If they were boys, we'd just shave their heads! :) LOL BTW, you are a hair artist! Truly, I would've never believed her hair looked like that in the am had I not seen the photo.

    ReplyDelete